Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Blog post #4

MAFS.1.MD.2- How to tell and write time
http://www.abcya.com/telling_time.htm
Classification tool: Educational games
I choose a standard under Mathematics for Grade 1. This specific standard addresses how the student can learn how to tell and write time. I would use this classification tool listed above in my classroom to enhance the learning of how to properly tell time. In the game, the student is a given a time and must set the clock right to the specific time. From there, there's a "check" button where the student can see if the answer they put down is correct. I would use this in my classroom because it's a great way for the student to become more confident and understand what they are doing. Not only is it beneficial to the student, but also fun and interactive!


After listening to the podcast, I have realized that I do not follow the ABCDT method. Instead, if I had a project or was googling something, I would simply type in what I needed to know and use the first link or picture that came up. After taking this class and learning about the copyright laws, I realized I have been doing it wrong this whole time. I found that the ABCDT acronym is very useful and helpful in using other people's works. I never really paid any attention to who the work or picture is owned by and never really cited my sources. One specific topic mentioned in the podcast, whichI realized I do not do as well, is checking the stability of the website. In other words, double check the sites to make sure they are appropriate to show your students. 
Here is what the acronym stands for:

Author: Credentials?
Bias: Resource neutral?
Content: Accurate & Current?
Design: Clear?
Technical Elements: Function properly? 

After completing the web hunt assignment, I learned how useful and how incredible the internet was. On the Internet, there is about every possible thing you can find, from online shopping, to facts, to learning methods. There is literally a website for about everything. It has so many resources and so many different outlets. 
Here are some web hunt challenges I created....
1. You want to teach your students how to learn the alphabet. Are there any online educational games to do so?
2. You want to teach your students how to do simple addition. Are there any online educational games that students can use to learn addition in a fun and entertaining way? 

4 comments:

  1. I think that that interactive activity will turn something as dull as telling time into something fun to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that that interactive activity will turn something as dull as telling time into something fun to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your game was super fun, and I liked the two options of clocks to learn to tell time. I think it's important to be able to tell time on both of these types of clocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your game was super fun, and I liked the two options of clocks to learn to tell time. I think it's important to be able to tell time on both of these types of clocks!

    ReplyDelete