Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Blog Post #5

In my opinion, I believe Web 2.0 technologies are very important in the classroom. In particular, I think Youtube and blogging would be very effective in the classroom and learning. On a personal note, when I am studying, sometimes I will useYoutube to help me understand a concept better and it really does help me. On the other hand, I do not think social media is all that useful in the classroom. I know with me, a lot of the time I get distracted and do other things I shouldn't be doing if I have social media. The podcasts mentions that twitter and blogs can help the student learn. I agree because in this class, we blog a lot and I feel like I have learned from it. Some equipment that is necessary for these tools would be a computer of course, a keyboard, a monitor, and a mouse. In addition, you would also need wifi to be able to connect.The periphery equipment needed would be a speaker so that students can hear and a whiteboard projector to show the class videos from Youtube

One interesting web 2.0 tool is scribd. Scribd is digital library and e-book, audiobook and comic book subscription service that includes one million titles. This tool could be very useful in the classroom for multiple reasons. One, teachers can use this to assign reading assignments to their students. Also, it is a great way for students to be able to read. In addition, this web 2.0 tool is an app that can be used on the iPad. I know for me, when I was in high school, we used iPads. This could be very effective because it allows a student to be able to read instead of having an actual hard copy book. 

Even though there are many upsides to Scribd, there are some downsides. Personally, I understand and grasp things better if I have a hard copy book. This allows me to annotate and to make any notes that I need to within the book itself. With Scribd, it's all online or on the iPad so there's no way to really make notes. On the other hand, the upside is that all the books have audio recordings. So, instead of physically reading the words, someone can just say them for you. This can be helpful to audio listeners. 

https://www.scribd.com

 After completing the Concept Mapping assignment, I learned many new things. My partner and I used a program called Webspiration. I am a visual learner and most of what was on Webspiration is visually based. I learned how to creat and rearrange shapes in way that is easy to understand. It was a little difficult for me to rearrange the shapes in order and to make it look like it made sense. Next time I can improve my concept map by making it more easy to understand. Now that I know how to utilize the different options, I feel like the next time I do it, it will be much more easy to read and organized. I could see myself using this in my future for my classes and to be more organized. (not yet done with concept map)


1 comment:

  1. I too comprehend better in print than digital text, but that could be showing my age. If I am reading an article for the main idea, I'm cool with highlighting and annotating directly in the digital form. But if I have to synthesize numerous articles together and therefore deeply understand the content, I print.

    ReplyDelete